Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Penning away...

* Warning: This is one whacky post! But, there's more to what the eye can see. Don't miss the comments section!

After watching Adaptation and exploring the thought process of a screenwriter, I tried to verbalize my thoughts while I pen a poem...
(No, I wouldn't even dare compare myself to Kaufman... just one of my whimsical rhymes!)

Poetry is a form of art
And I’m wondering how to start
I’ll play with language and with word
At times ostensible, at others absurd
Several reasons that I could write
Reasons profound or quite trite
I could let grief take over me
And question life and mortality
At times I write of situations irate
Also, now and then, I procrastinate
Prefer rhymes that help with the flow
Maybe this time I won’t use it though
And try to write like I would prose
I might like what comes to be
Or try a different rhyming scheme
Picking my lines and my themes
But when the rhymes turn a trying task
I’ll just introduce an oxygen mask
On ambiguity I just might rely
And not make clear what I imply
If I’m somber and yet it’s funny
Would you appreciate the irony?
O please don’t answer so quick
My question was simply rhetoric
Trying to follow these lyrical rules
Hoping - I don’t come across a fool
But, if you think I’m rambling on
And this poem should be withdrawn
Let me say in my defense -
It is my right, my poetic license!


11 comments:

Prashanth said...

My friend, you're looking at it the wrong way,
When you read poetry, at the end of the day,
It's not the words, but the ideas that stay;
A sculpture's form is more important than the clay.

Rhyme and wordplay are a convenience, at best;
Forget reason: I do not jest!
Write with passion, emotion and zest:
Once you start, the pen cannot rest.

Go with the mood, and feel the flow.
Lose your anchors, be it fast or slow.
If you have a message, let it show...
Ambiguity? Irony? I do not know...

And yet I'm sure, there is no rule;
Call me an idiot, call me a fool,
Bur prose I write after passions cool;
Poetry I write when emotions rule.


:)
- Prashanth.

sunshine said...

Ideas and passion run profuse
But unless the words that I choose
Possess the power to seduce
Remain dull, however great the muse

When the clay is impure and loose
The sculpture's form remains abstruse
No pleasure in reading words obtuse
Wordplay is a challenge, not an excuse

My message – I truly wish to diffuse
Emotion and zest – I never disabuse
Quality – I try hard to infuse
In the end - I definitely like to amuse

:)

Prashanth said...

In that case, I withdraw with a smile
For we're after all on the same side :)
I must admit, I like your style,
And yet my argument, I'm glad I tried!

Am much amused, as you promised this day,
So I offer my thanks, if I may.
'Twas nice to cross my pen with thine,
I'll be seeing you around, Lady Sunshine!

P said...

Even the comments rhyme
I would have tried but have no time
Oh but wait, that nearly rhymed
Love the poem, my foray into your blog seems well timed!

P said...

Yippie for the poetic license.. I for one..am all for all kins of artistic licenses..
:-)

sunshine said...

These are the most enjoyable comments i've gotten!!

jhantu said...

when you start penning down a rhyme to kill..
always start with jack and jill went up the hill..

Mizohican said...

People like me just stand at the side,
watching u guys go at each other's hide.
We can't rhyme, so we can't comment,
Fate be damned, we can only lament.

Its tough to find words that rhyme,
BTW, didya know 10 pennies make a dime?
Anyway, I gotta be going, I gotta fly,
Got people to see and eggs to fry.

Shakti said...

beautifully written!!:)

Anonymous said...

writing a comment was never a hard job,
now i guess am going to sob,
but seeing the angry mob,
i cried am not Uncle Bob.


lol...
well it surelly is not my cup of tea...

sunshine said...

@ jhantu, illusionare, scarecrow:

rhyme away without a care
forget words, flaunt the flair
'cuz i must say (it's only fair)
laughs are good for our welfare :D

@ shakti: glad u liked it!