Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My creative outlet

I was always in awe of art and artists. My mom painted beautifully... and I wanted to be just like her. At age 5, I started to draw apples on a plate. The apples and the plate were so grossly disproportionate that I was forced to change the title of my work to ‘Apples in a Giant’s mouth’.

I accepted that drawing wasn’t my style. But, the urge to create remained. I reached out to paints. I proceeded to paint everything from glass to pots to the neighbor’s dog!

Luckily, my parents never discouraged me. Hoping to encourage me into making another masterpiece involving fruit and the mouths of colossal beings, they exhibited all my higgledy-piggledy dust-laden work on our mantle. (Except the dog. It kept peeing in the house and we had to let the neighbors have him back).

‘Practice makes perfect’ they said and packed me off to art class. After spending 3 weeks below C level, I had to come up for air! Conventional drawing and painting wasn’t for me!

Candle making turned out to be my calling. I made some beautiful candles - some in glass containers and others that stood proudly on their own showing off their flame. I’m sure my family was relieved to find something to replace the other atrocities taking over our living room. Didn’t matter that my house looked like something out of a Harlequin romance!

But this was only until the day the sink was clogged with all the little bits of wax that had been flowing through it. I am now extremely skilled at using a plunger and unclogging plumbing. Could that qualify as art?

And my mom had to have ‘the talk’ –
Maybe you should direct your creative outlet elsewhere. Why don’t you focus on something more sublime? (read: easy to dispose of)”

I decided to write. Easier to store and the ones that didn’t qualify – lined the shelves in my dresser. My exhibition has now moved from my mantle to clutter up cyberspace. When I drift on to a new hobby, it will join the heap of cyber-junk created by lost passwords and orphaned web pages. Until then... I’ll subject you to it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Good one!
You have a way with words and the way you ended is pretty cool.
I am more than welcome to be subjected to it!!
:)

Sheeba said...

Hey Sunny, :)! I know just what you mean... While searching for a erstwhile hobby, I went through numerous boring ones (to me!)

- Stamp Collecting
- Tile Collecting (err.. dont ask!)
- Sticker Collecting (I prefered sticking them on my dresser!)
- Woodwork (Yeah!)

Ofcourse writing was always my fallback option but *sigh* it wasnt so "cool" when I was a teenager! :D

Prashanth said...

Keep writing! I personally doubt you'll give it up anytime soon... writing is addictive!

anumita said...

I don't know about the other outlets that were tried and tested but you are creating beautiful magic with writing! Keep at it.

sunshine said...

@anon - thanx..:).... and subjected u shall be!!

@rati - hilarious! where did u put these tiles? woodwork must've been great!! keep writing.. love ur stuff!

@prashanth - true.. pretty addictive!

@anumita - thats really sweet... thanx :)

upsilamba said...

Jee..gal, me off for two days and you got a handful of posts to read!

yup, stick to writing. give mom a break. :-)

Born a Libran said...

Keep the good stuff coming.. Words are much easier to handle than wax... thats for sure :)

P said...

Well its a good thing you finally ended up with writing..coz' you are so damn good with it! :-)
(happy day for the ego, no? ) hehe

sunshine said...

thanx for the ego boost everybody.. feels great coming from people who write fantabulously!!