Friday, July 28, 2006

The room-mate blues

Being a poor graduate student in USA, living situations left a lot to be desired. And being a woman engineer, I thought looking for a room-mate (pref. female) was an ordeal. Little did I know what was going to follow

There are a lot of room-mates I’ve come across... some my own and some of my friends’. Each with their own brand of antics and eccentricities…

The Radically Religious
The kind that won’t allow anyone to speak while prayer is in progress, until the lamp in the alter has gone off or anywhere there’s an agarbatti. Needless to say… a quiet household.

When the silence is finally broken and daily house duties are discussed, you discover that - for religious reasons, she won’t cook before sunset on Mondays or Wednesdays and after sunset on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

‘Well… any restrictions on Friday?’

‘I think we should fast together on Friday. Will help in bonding.’


The Nodder

The kind that nods so frantically every time you bring up a chore, the eagerness touches you. But, it’s all nod and no muscle (except the ones in the neck)!

Soon, the dirty dishes overflow out of the sink and onto the window-sills and the fridge preserves molds and some very questionable liquids.

Finally, you dump out the contents of the fridge as well as the dishes into a couple of trash bags.

‘Could you take the trash out?’

*nod nod nod*


It’s a girl thing…
The kind that thinks cleaning floors or the bathroom are not womanly duties.

‘Eeewwwwwwww’

Look out for a post titled ‘How the boys across the hall were tricked into menial tasks’


Me, myself and IIT

I have a lot of respect for IIT and its products. But, just because I didn’t study there don’t treat me like a dimwit. How come IIT doesn’t teach mutual respect?

This is the kind that brags her head off and (being from IIT) thinks it her duty to teach you the perfect way to turn on the stove or boil water and then proceeds to put an egg in the microwave!

Do you want me to describe the stink, the drips and the mess after it explodes… or are you in the mood for experiments?


The Angry Blogger

The kind that doesn’t believe in discussing issues face-to-face. Instead it culminates in an angry blog.

“Can’t believe that bitch.. how could she???....”

Hey, don’t accuse me… I did try to talk… when all failed… I blogged


The Furtive Ferret

The kind that is extremely compassionate as long as you’re around and the minute you’re absent – eats your food and uses that expensive lotion of yours.

Of course, when you notice the seventh can of coke disappear, you pose questions. All she does is shrugs innocently.

To avoid a hostile situation, you believe there lives a soda-loving-ghost in your trash can.


The Cleopatra Kind

The kind that spends every minute of her livelong day primping and preening in front of the mirror and bathroom sessions last an eternity.

By now, you’re the expert at holding back those urges to pee. What really irks is the sub-kind that does all of the above, but claims not to. She claims to waking up with hair sprayed and eyelashes tinted.

Of course, these beauty treatments leave no time for trivial tasks like washing the dishes or flushing the toilet.

‘What?! And ruin my manicure???’


The Hygienically Impaired

The kind that showers once in a blue moon and dirties the bar of soap instead of getting clean. The apartment is laden with her body odor and unmentionables take over every inch of the bathroom.


And there is an ‘occasional best-friend roomie’ who turns out to be your extended family and someone you can really count on. It’s that hope that keeps me going on.

Room-mates – can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em!

11 comments:

Born a Libran said...

Hey, to give some hope to you, there do exist good room mates out there but they r just rare... Off course when all else fails, you move to an efficiency... I do live in an efficiency not because I have had bad room mates but I dont want my habits to erk some one else to blog on me..

jhantu said...

Ah the sorry life of the poor indian grad student. Ive been thinking of doing a post on this specie for sometime and your post might just have given me the push/kick i needed.

sunshine said...

@ libran - hey.. thanks for the advice.. lots of times the lease binds people together and at other times.. the lack of funds.. so all we do is laugh abt it.. :)

@ jhantu - o yes.. our poor grad student life is great blog fodder.. lemme know when u do write the post.. i'd love to read it..

P said...

Nice post..loved it!
I had a nightmare room mate, she was straight from hell, oh my god! (the stories I could tell!) But fortunately for me, she moved out and I got another one, the "best-friend roomie" kind! And it was so much fun, it was like everyday was a slumber party! She to date remains my closest friend!
Its just a matter of luck and draw I guess! :-)

Sneha said...

*shuddering at the thought of having to live with weird people*- i think the hygienically impaired and the furtive ferret are the most formidable! yuck! hope u find a decent rommie soon enough! :)

Sagnik Nandy said...

very nicely categorized. interestingly enough not only have i faced some of these people - i have even been a few of them :( very funny :D incidentally, i was reading through your other posts and the one one Chemical Engineering is brilliant!

Sin said...

Lol! An awesome post! Been there! Btw, you forgot to mention the kind with a severe case of OCD. One of my roomies was a cleanliness freak. That kind is bad too. But she wasn't all bad though. We're still good friends. And then! I found HER! "best-friend-roomie" and school was never better. :) Good luck.

Artful Badger said...

You seem to have a lot of roomies.

Hmm..guys tend to be much simpler..

So, we just don't talk, apart from when totally necessary. We are too lazy to pretend to be friendly to each other.

sunshine said...

they aren't all mine... have played agony aunt for my friends' room-mate troubles too...

Vartika said...

:))
interesting classifications!
i am again looking for flat-mates myself so i c what's there in it for me...
but hey! c'mon...not all iitians are bitches!
:D
give us a nod at that!

sunshine said...

heyy.. i did start by saying i have respect for iitians.. but there are iitians and then there are iitians!