Monday, July 03, 2006

The Indian Panorama & Aamchi Mumbai


I love telling people that I'm from India. The land of mystery and intrigue. But, I must admit that I absolutely hate it when Americans and other Westerners ask me if I travel on elephants or eat snakes, just because one tribesman happened to do so. How’d they like it if I watched Ripley’s believe it or not and asked if they could all pop their eyes out or sleep with killer bees? Hmph!

Uhhh... where was I? O yes... India - a country just as scenic where the snow falls on the Himalayas as it is where the Indian Ocean flanked by two jubiliant seas washes up on Kanyakumari.

I love how there’s a million different languages we speak, hundreds of festivals we celebrate and scores of different ways that one can get married. The Indian Panorama. That’s what we celebrated in the November of 2004 – half a globe away from our homes. A re-make of Mile Sur Mera Tumhara.

And here's a re-mixed video of our performance (courtesy: moi)...
'Everybody Dance Now'
...also includes clips from plays performed.

(Info: I am the bharatnatyam dancer in pink. Only compliments will be accepted. Brutal honesty and such brickbats shall face my wrath)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I come from Bombay(Now Mumbai). One of the largest cities in the world. You can go ahead and call us the rudest... but that’s just ‘cuz we don’t believe in superficial formality. It’s a city with a heart, with a pulse. I can’t imagine Mumbai without the hustle and bustle. Everyone has a goal – either lofty or just something to do for the day – but, everyone has one.

People don’t generally have the time to stand around and gawk at what you’re up to. If it’s interesting, you might acquire a couple of lingering glances... followed by a little shake of the head if you are one of those particularly disgusting people.

I think Bombay (oops... Mumbai.. don’t think I’m every gonna get used to that name) has a panorama of it’s own. The suit-clad business man, the temple priest in saffron robes, the fisher-woman, the social activist, the shimmering club-hopper, the tapori at the street corner, the college student in low-rise jeans, the air-conditioned sedan, the auto-rickshaw, the bajaj scooter carrying a family of five and their groceries – we are all Mumbai!! And we co-exist in maybe-not-the-greatest harmony... but it is marvelously harmonious nevertheless. Aamchi Mumbai – love it!!!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mumbai - Mere Dil Ki Dhadkan

Vartika said...

hey!
loved your post...
we share amongst other things...this inexplicable love and adulation for bombay!
and yes, can't stop calling it bombay!
just ended my 4 year stint there and now i am a bag full of nostalgia!

jagmax said...

My entire childhood has been spent in "Bombay". I feel the same way u people do

Marcelo Holecram said...

Thank you for putting myself in contact with Ripley. I dindn´t know him !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent description of Our Bombay, where as per me there seems to be a place for Everyone.
Kudos !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I appreciate your belongingness towards India and Mumbai.
U have hot linked one image http://thegreatindian.tripod.com/Images/mumbai.jpg from my tripod login, due to which there is rise in visitor viewing it and my monthly bandwidth qouta is about to over.
Please unlink it.Give me ur email id i will mail that mumbai image to you and u can directly put on ur blog.
Hoping your co-operation

my email id is nixon.rodrigues@gmail.com