Thursday, July 06, 2006

Superman et al.


Watched Superman Returns a couple of days ago. One Yahoo! User said - It's Brilliant, It's Superb, It's Superman! Frankly, I didn't think it was Superb! But, I didn't think it was bad! Well, there was the complete lack of chemistry between the Man of Steel and Lois Lane, Lex Luthor's preposterous ploy and the Indian actor's jarring silence.... but, I still didn't think it was too bad. Although, I must say - Christopher Reeve was sorely missed!

There's always a charm to a Superhero - the courage, the nobility and abilities that surpass the normal human being. So what if you had to live a lie, never fall in love and be on call 24/7! I'm sure the aerial views and the adulation make up for it!

Got talking about Superheroes and noticed that women tend to gravitate towards our friendly neighborhood Spider-man (The arachnophobes just nodded along for the fear that they might not fit in). Got me thinking... is it 'cuz he's just the boy next door - juggling his personal struggles with his heroic exploits. Is there a humanness we can relate to? Is it the up-side down kiss? Or is it the timid guy open to henpecking-potential?

Superman - the most influential and popular superhero of DC Comics - tends to come across as far too noble and much too invulnerable. I'd never think I was good enough for him... would suffer from self-esteem issues... and would probably drive myself paranoid just thinking of him around that Wonder Woman ($!&#)! And I'm sure my Superman and I wouldn't be able to afford couples' counseling on what the Daily Planet pays!

My Significant Other thinks Batman is the Ultimate Superhero. He seems like the rich, snooty businessman type. Batman that is, not my SO. My SO is not at all snooty and unfortunately not very rich either. Sigh. Anyway, Batman doesn't possess superpowers. He makes use of detective skills and technology in his war on crime... and did I forget to mention millions of dollars? I crave the appeal of someone fighting abjection. And the dark side didn't bode too well with the female audience. Sorry, I said - and the ladies agreed. Crushed, my SO now wished he had an invisibility cape or the power to blend in with the walls.

He may not have a cape, but he does have superpowers. (.. now it's my SO I'm talking about..). He has his wit, his humor, his understanding and his charisma. He makes his funny faces, tells his jokes, gives me a bear hug and rescues me from my problems, my worries, my daily glitches and such little demons that lurk around my reality – just as a Superhero should! In the contest for the best superhero, my vote goes to him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome haan... super duper jhakaas...

Anonymous said...

SO speaking- SO flattered!!