Saturday, July 15, 2006

How Chemical Engineering...

took over my life!

  • My towels are categorized by absorption capacity
  • I dress according to the heat exchange capacity and porosity of my clothing
  • I have personalized safety goggles. And the marks they leave on my face are so becoming!
  • A personalized hard hat is next on my shopping list.
  • I read up the difference between condensed milk and evaporated milk
  • I know the direction the water swirls when I flush the toilet
  • When I talk of pumps, they happen to be more centrifugal than stylish!
  • I point to everything in sight (the paint on the wall, the clothes someone wears, even their toothbrush) and say “A Chem Engg probably did that”!
  • Next, I talk about how versatile we are... making everything from a potato chip to a micro-chip!
  • I took courses in stripping and various kinds of beds and the only thing sleazy about it was the amount of homework!
  • When I add oil to boiling pasta, I think of surface tension
  • I study my hairspray’s flammable properties
  • I use nail polish remover for more than just removing nail polish
  • I wash my hands before I go to the bathroom (occupational hazard?)
  • I’m high on solvent fumes most of the time
  • I refer to roaming aimlessly as Brownian movement
  • Half the time my significant other hasn’t the foggiest idea what I talk about!

And if you thought I’m really into the subject... here’s a review of Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook by Eric Gunther from New York , 18 October, 1998

"A riveting book from start to finish! Perry has outdone himself once again. The seventh edition is even more of a show-stopper than the previous editions. I read this book from cover to cover in one sitting, unable to put it down for a moment, not even to relieve myself! The molecular weights were so accurate and the heats of reaction made my spine tingle. Once I reached the section discussing distillation and tray efficiencies I knew I was hooked. I won't give away the ending but it's definitely a shocker. Bravo to Mr. Perry's and I am counting the days to the release of your 9th edition!"


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO speaking-true very true..I am dating a chemical geek!!...

Grey Shades said...

Lol! yeah thats what happened to me when I was learning photography!

Anonymous said...

u are sooo funny re. i have no words to describe how ekdum sahi it is.

Sneha said...

roaming about aimlessly- brownian motion?!?!? haha!! amazing!! my friends n i have named(code named..hehe) our crushes and other "interesting people" after theta, delta n such!! science really gets to u!!

sunshine said...

@SO - o yes u r... get used to it! :)

@grey, sneha - glad u understand the madness!

@ku - love u to bits!