Monday, August 28, 2006

Amused to the hilt!

I took a trip to the town built on chocolate. Milton S. Hershey opened the chocolate factory and with it a "model town" with all the trimmings. Hershey Park being one of them, opened in 1907. A treat all the way... it even smells of chocolate!! The place features a chocolate factory, a zoo, museums, gardens, and a whole lotta shopping. Sweet - ain't it?

Being the adrenaline junkie that I am - I made a bee-line for the most agressively rated thrill rides. Bring on the 'many unexpected, rapid changes in speed, direction, and/or elevation'.

The Great Bear - exhilaration machinified!



Riding below the track (instead of on it) and moving at a mile a minute, it lifted me 90 feet into the air, tossed me, flipped me, yanked me, and dropped me 124 feet - only to lift me up and do it all over.

All this on the first row with my feet flailing up in the air and leaving me begging for more!














Of all the rides I've been on, the Storm Runner takes the cake (along with the stomach)!


Before I could say "here we go" it has launched me from 0-72mph in 2 seconds flat - and that was just the beginning! It's a freak-show of a ride that romps down an action packed 2600 feet of steel track in 30 seconds. I rode in the first row of the second car and my stomach followed in the 2nd row of the 9th car.

I would've described how I imagined the coaster attempted to shoot me off to Pluto. But, after all the demoralization that the poor dwarf planet has gone through... I decided to leave it to it's unusually elliptical orbit and out of my description.


The coaster continued to storm up 18 stories and then drop down even faster. Before I could comprehend what I was looking at, the vision had already flashed past. After all the loops, rolls and dives... forget east or west... I had no idea which direction was up!

Among other activities like arcading, sightseeing, shopping and pressing pennies - I stood in serpentine lines (for rides, food, souveniers). It's lines like these that demand engaging company. And thanks to the fascinating company I had, conversations floated between making jokes (mostly at others' expense), discussing the perils of the rides and designing strategies to jump from one ride to another in mid-air... and I didn't realize when time flew by faster than the rides!


And I can't wait to do it all again!
.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pleasure was all mine!!
:)

Anonymous said...

Chocolate AND Roller coaster? And you did not feel queasy? The very thought makes my stomach turn !! But hey, thats just me. Hats off to your strong and steady stomach !

P said...

Wowie! What fun!!

Wriju said...

I am so envious!
What about the chocolates? I'd spend half my time in the chocolate factory I am sure :-)

sunshine said...

@laksmi - can u believe i also ate pizza and hot dogs and cheese fries apart from the chocs b4 i got on those rides???
i guess standing in those long lines aided in digestion!

@pers - yea it was!! u been away somewhre??

@wriju - frij is stuffed with chocolates! the rides n stuff didnt leave me much time for the factory.. looks like its gonna be another trip!

upsilamba said...

Place is PA?
Tried those funnel cakes? - they are especially delicious when sold at theme parks!

sunshine said...

@upsilamba - o nooo i didnt.. :(.. damn! i need another trip there! and ya its PA

RamaDrama said...

Holy Cow! Well..guess u are one of the brave ones! My neck still aches from previous Six Flags trip!

Anonymous said...

oh boy! looks u had one hell of a trip....even a look at those pics of skyscrapping rides can make someone's adrenalin going...
am so envious now..

Unknown said...

* Alert *ting* first time visitor :)
....and must say aaaaahhhh u r crazy......i have gone on small coasters twice and both times i felt like i was dying when it plummetted down!

sunshine said...

@motorama, siri: it is scary... but thats the thrill!! i cudnt see a crazy rollercoaster whiz past n not wanna ride it! maybe i am jus crazy :)
hope u enjoyed reading.. keep coming back!

@scarecrow: they jus look thrilling, dont they? i'm still raving abt the trip!