Friday, September 01, 2006

The voice is quiet

That's great!We'll get in touch with U. We'll be with K.
Is your place nearer to NYC or Philadelphia?
Have U got a mobile phone? What is the best time to contact U?
BFN

I looked forward to their visit. It had been a while since I met my aunt and uncle. I'd always relished their company and I expected the same this time.

But... I never expected the phone call or the emails that followed.

The funeral is on Monday 'cuz it'll take a while for people to get here.

A heart-attack while driving home from a party. My uncle was no more. Completely unexpected. Especially since a recent medical check-up and stress test had declared him as fit as a fiddle. He was 58.

The Clinical Director of Orthopaedics at his hospital in the UK, he had recently received his Long Service Award. He had also spent many years helping provide surgery on a voluntary basis in southern India.

I remember him as being the life of the party! Singing aloud (and asking us kids sing along), cracking jokes and making us roar with laughter. A couple of weeks before he passed he had been telling others that he had achieved all that he had wanted to and could die a happy man anytime.

The family was grief-stricken. Thoughts had remained unspoken and words had remained unsaid. All that was left to do was express gratitude for everything he was and for everything he did.

A song for every mood
And tales with humor imbued
Whether in glee or in gloom
Your presence always lit up the room

Though we now bid adieu
We never cease to think of you
Your kindness and your generosity
Your energy, laughter and repartee

Thank you for your life and all you did
Thank you for your smiles and the lives you lit
Thank you for all the happy memories
Thank you for your life; may you rest in peace

It has been 1 year. The voice is quiet - but the spirit echoes still.

_

9 comments:

Grey Shades said...

Beyond the door, there's peace I'm sure.
And I know there'll be no more tears in Heaven


Sincere condolences!

pavan kumar said...

my condolences..

I could relate to the poem, I miss my grandpa more than before

Unknown said...

"Thank you for your life and all you did
Thank you for your smiles and the lives you lit
Thank you for all the happy memories
Thank you for your life; may you rest in peace"


it's touching ...the refrain

Born a Libran said...

Death is always such an uncomfortable subject but you have written so eloquently about it. I think he might have liked what you wrote about him. May he rest in peace.

sunshine said...

thanx

Sin said...

Sorry for your loss.

I just found out that I lost my uncle 4 days ago. I don't know what to feel. We hadn't been in touch for years. But I remember many good times with him as a kid. Now I'm thinking about all the things that could've been, but in vain. Such is life, ain't it?

Chin up pal. Hugs!!

sunshine said...

I'm sorry for ur loss too. *hugs* :)

Unknown said...

hey sunshine,
that's sad! to think you were just going to meet him. that was a very touching poem, all of us who lost someone in our lives can relate.

sunshine said...

tgfi : the fact that we were supposed to meet made it all the more devastating.. thanx for ur words